23 May 2013

Day 10 ~ Rocky Mountaineer - Jasper to Kamloops

Firstly congratulations to Julie & Steve on the safe arrival of my first great nephew!  Can't wait to see some pix.

What a day for us.  We left Jasper this morning very early on the Rocky Mountaineer and have arrived in Kamloops for the night.  The journey took approximately 9 hours and we have eaten fantastic food (and a little wine).  We have been through the amazing sites of the Rocky Mountains, lakes, waterfalls and farming country and apparently tomorrow is the real treat (I can't imagine that, maybe they're just making sure we all turn up for the train tomorrow).  I can't add too many pix here, but obviously we'll have a slide night when we get home:)

Rocky Mountaineer (Gold Leaf Carriage)



I can't finish today's blog without mentioning the Von Trapp Family.  Why? I hear you ask, well, only because at every turn over the past few days I swear I could see Maria singing her little heart out on the beautiful mountains and finally the Von Trapps' walking to safety over rugged terrain (although my cynical brothers would have you believe that had they actually crossed the mountain in the movie, it would have taken them straight back to Austria, but I don't believe that for a minute).  For those of you who are interested the Von Trapps' are now living in Vermont and run a holiday lodge.  I think I'll make that my next trip, I'm sure Ian will agree!

This is Mt Robson, the highest mountain in Canada.



Anyway, I digress a little.  It didn't take long for the first bear sighting, although small, it was exciting.  I got to see the second one just a little better and although I wouldn't like to get too close to one, they are a treat to see in the wild.  There was also a Moose I believe, but unfortunately we missed it, so Ian is still on the lookout.  Sadly you really have to have your camera ready to capture these unique moments.  Pyramid Falls (above) - having trouble with the captions!

The train is really something to experience.  We are in Gold Leaf where it is completely enclosed by a glass dome all around you to get the best views.  There's even a viewing deck out the back which helps for some photo opportunities (although, they all want to get out there then). The lower level is the dining car - where the meals are 5 star - lunch was 3 course with wine.  Difficult to refuse.

Looking forward to tomorrow's adventure and eating ourselves silly!  You really should try this experience, it's a once in a lifetime.  Love to all xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment