05 September 2016

Day 7 - Museums & Parks

Today we woke after having jammed our earplugs so far into our ears last night, they were almost irretrievable this morning - clearly we have never lived in a big city. 

We headed-off towards Central Park this morning and just had a ham & cheese roll and a coffee at the park's cafe.  Food here isn't great and is expensive generally.  We have mostly been having only breakfast and dinner.  With a big breakfast, you don't really think about lunch.  Probably not the best to eat up big at night, but I'll worry about that when I get home.

We found the Museum of Modern art on 5th Avenue and went for a stroll.  I will let Ian tell you more about that because I have no culture:). After some time there, we headed for the Guggenheim Museum.  This is more modern art and although I didn't really appreciate it (and Ian didn't as much as the Museum of Modern art) the building is magnificent.  The inside is just as impressive with a spiral ramp that takes you up to the 6 floors of the Guggenheim.  

Hi all, Ian here.  Well what I day I have had. My beautiful (and patient) wife has let me indulge in a couple of wonderful museums. First of all the Metropolitan Museum of Art (or The Met). Well what can I say. What a place, such a beautiful building and so much to see and at times a little overwhelming. Van Gogh, Pissarro, Monet, Manet, Picasso, Toulouse-Lautrec plus all of the collection from Afrian art, Greek and Roman art and sculpture- what's not to like. It was a little too much at times but in a good way.  Then up the road to the Guggenheim. Such a stunning piece of architecture by Frank Llyod Wright. We wandered through the building and viewed the temporary exhibition by an artist Moholy-Nagy which is due to finish shortly. Very interesting as well as he Guggenheim collection. Very enjoyable all round.

I would say that we are walking a minimum of 10 KM each day.  It is pretty hot here and the weather has been fantastic, so we've been really lucky there.  We were supposed to get a lot of rain this weekend coming from the hurricane that hit Florida a couple of days ago, but no sign of it.

Tomorrow we are hoping to get to the Empire State, 9/11 Memorial and the United Nations ... Wish us luck:)

1 comment:

  1. There's a shopping mall across the road from the 9/11 memorial with a great French food hall on the ground floor - highly recommend :) - Jac xx

    ReplyDelete