06 September 2016

Day 8 - Empire State, 9/11 and Meet Pat

Regardless of sleep, we got up at 7 AM to be at the Empire State Building early.  We got there around 8:30 and we both loved it.  We stopped at both the 80th and 86th floors.  It's hard to believe that this building was built in just over a year.  It started in March 1930 and completed in April 1931.  I'm sure there is nothing that spectacular (or less) that is built in that timeframe today.  Views were fantastic and the architecure for the time is magnificent.   I have great photos if only I could post them😁

Sad to see (like many other things these days) the security around entering the building is high.  It was like an airport - bags and individuals scanned.  Great that we had a city pass so that we got priority entry!

Next we headed to 34th and 1st to catch a ferry to Brooklyn.  We then got to Brooklyn and crossed the Brooklyn bridge (on foot) - great experience, but sooooo many people stopping for selfies.  Anyway, headed for the 9/11 memorial which was great, but nothing stirs the emotions more than the photos of the 2,977 (and that's without those whose lives changed for the worse that day) people who died in the attack staring right back at you.  I am glad I went to see it, but it certainly wasn't an uplifting experience.

We then headed back to the Brooklyn Bridge and walked again to the other side without enough time to do much else but get our tickets and board before we met Pat for a drink and much needed food (that is, food for us, we'd hardly eaten all day).   On the way back, we went past the United Nations.  Sadly again, it was difficult to get good pictures due to an iron fence surrounding it and steel posts  (presumably to stop cars ramming the building.

We met Pat at our hotel and  went to Aperitivo (where Ian and I have enjoyed a couple of meals while we've been here).  Pat had to leave us around 6:30 for a business dinner.  It was so great to catch-up with him while we were both in NYC.

Back in our room now and preparing for our trip to Boston tomorrow - 4 hrs of not walking ... Magic!!.  I think we're ready to move on.  The only thing we haven't done, is seen a show on Broadway - maybe another time😊


No comments:

Post a Comment