07 September 2016

Day 9 - Farewell NYC & Hello Boston

As days go, this one has been fairly uneventful and a much slower pace than the cracking pace we had set for ourselves in NYC.

We checked out of our hotel around 11 and headed for Pennsylvania Station.  Strangely, the cab fare was about 1/2 the price of the other day when I said I hadn't tipped the guy and needed a wine at Rockerfeller Centre.  I think he tipped himself by overcharging us so I don't feel bad at all now.

Pennsylvania Station is hardly pretty, interesting or exciting but it is where we boarded our train to Boston.

Train travel is definitely the way to go here, especially considering my past track record at airports.  We have gone Business Class which not many people do it seems.  It's really not that much more expensive (not like plane travel) and much more comfortable and loads of room and baggage space.  So far, they've all been on time.  Our next train adventure is from Montreal to Toronto later next week.

Neither of us fell in love with NYC.  It's dirty, it's busy and it's HUGE.  But having said that, it is a great place to visit and there is so much to see, we really only touched the surface.

I really wish I had my Fitbit with me to tell me how much we've walked over the past 5 days.  Although walking wasn't always fun (remembering it was a holiday weekend and therefore plenty of people out and about), you did get to see a whole lot more of the city.  Most days were pleasantly warm so it was great walking weather and I had my trusty Sketches to keep the aches and pains at bay.

Boston wether doesn't look as great over the next couple of days, but I'm sure we'll make the most of it either by sightseeing or shopping.  Helen suggested accommodation that appears to be right opposite a shopping mall!  We Dwyer girls really know how to position ourselves for shopping😉.  Thanks again Hel!

Arrived in Boston about 4 hrs ago and I'm feeling human again.  Went for a short walk and found Jo Brasserie - a French restaurant where we probably had the best meal since Washington.  The guest house we are staying is beautiful (and quiet) - I didn't think I'd ever hear myself breathe again.  Thanks again Hel😊🍾
Ian is checking out where the "Cheers" bar is ... I'm looking forward to an early (quiet night's sleep).

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I didn't really love New York either I have to say. Tons of culture and things to do but just so busy, noisy and crowded. If I were ever to live in the US (not gonna happen now) I'd go for California or something.

    ReplyDelete